Whether it’s your first time moving home or your 4th time, it’s never an easy process to get right, and it’s not one that anyone does that often enough to perfect a routine. That’s why we’ve put together a few handy tips to help make your move as smooth as possible.
Packing doesn’t have to be a nightmare
So, moving day is fast approaching, and you can’t wait to get started with life in your new Risby home. There’s just one black cloud looming – the packing.
Here’s a few ways you can make the task less stressful:
- It’s a simple one: start early. The last thing you want is a moving day panic.
- Pack each room individually, and label every box. It might seem like a lot of effort, but you’ll thank yourself for doing it when you get started unpacking in your new home.
- Be ruthless. There’s no point spending time or effort on moving stuff you don’t want or need anymore, so either donate it or take it to your local recycling centre.
- Don’t overload your boxes. They might look okay sat on the floor, but remember you or someone else will need to be able to carry them. Try to spread weight evenly to avoid destroying your boxes or worse, your back.
- Plan where it’s all going to go. Print off a floor plan of your new home so you know where things will fit, and save yourself finding out the hard way that they don’t.
Professional removals vs. doing it yourself
It’s a good idea to decide a few weeks in advance if you’re going to use a professional removal company, or if you’d rather hire a van and get help from friends and family.
Either way, it’s worth shopping around, getting a few quotes and then booking them in advance.
Taking care of the admin stuff
You’re probably going to have a lot of different people, companies and organisations who you’ll need to let know that you’re going to be moving. That list will likely include:
- Your GP
- Your dentist
- Your banks
- Utilities suppliers
- TV and broadband suppliers
- Your mobile phone company
- Insurance companies
This task might seem daunting, but if you get it all out of the way in one go, you can put your feet up and relax.
A few last tips for the big day
It’s finally here, and you’re feeling prepared (ish). There’s just a couple of final steps you can take to make your moving day a happy one.
- Keep children and pets out of the way. Enlist someone to take them off your hands for the day, so you can focus on the task at hand while knowing everyone’s safe.
- Pack some easy meals and snacks. Having a selection of pre-prepared food and drinks is a good way to keep everyone going, and saves your team getting hungry!
And of course, we’ll be on hand to give you all the support we can along the way. Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your new home.